Thursday, January 24, 2008

Purchasing a Horse - Some of the Basics

Looking for a horse

I do have several clients who are in the process of looking for horses to purchase. Most of this searching seems to be online, so I want to offer a little advice when you are wondering what the next step is....

First, one of my smartest horse colleagues always tries to make me look at at least ten to twenty horses before I decide on the one that is 'perfect.' Of course I never get that far, but the point is well-taken. When we go to the trouble to set up an appointment, travel x amount of miles to visit, and spend time and money to look at a horse, we might have a tendency to talk ourselves into 'love at first sight' even when the horse is not perfect for us. I am the worst person about this. I have trucked in the first horse I looked at too many times and it has never worked out in my or the horse's favor. This year, I have learned that horse shopping, if you are doing it the right way, is time-consuming, tedious, and often frustrating. But the reward of taking your time is finding the horse that is truly meant to be your partner for life.

Second, let's say you have found a horse or pony in an advertisement that catches your attention and is within your price range.

Read the ad again, carefully. Does the author mention any lameness or injuries? Is the horse within your desired age range? Are there any 'red flags' in the ad? What gets left out of the ad? If it is a thoroughbred or other racing breed, does the ad mention whether or not the horse has been raced? I have written many ads for horses and you should remember the following:

-the author is trying to depict the horse in the best possible manner. The horse is probably LESS attractive than the pictures in the ad.

-sellers are motivated to sell. Not to do the right thing. There are some honest, good people selling horses, but you can't ever assume that the seller is telling you the entire truth or even part of the truth. Be skeptical. If it seems too good to be true, IT IS! It ALWAYS is! There are no deals of a lifetime anymore. 99.9% of the sellers know why they are asking the price they have chosen.

Third. When you have found several horses that you like, contact each owner with a note or a phone call. In the initial call or email, you should:

1. Identify yourself and why you are calling. Remember the name and breed of the horse you are contacting them about. Some people are selling many horses at one time. I have often said, "Hi, my name is Kristen Hassen and I am calling about the horse you have for sale," only to have the person on the other line reply, "Which one?" The seller should confirm that they still have the horse for sale (often the horse will have been sold already).

2. Tell the seller a little about what you are looking for. Emphasize that you are looking for a completely SOUND, HEALTHY horse and then be honest about your plans for this horse. It helps to have written down your ideal characteristics ahead of time. For instance, when I was looking for a horse this last time, I wrote something like this:

"Hi, my name is Kristen and I am calling about the grey thoroughbred you have for sale. I am looking for a horse that is 100% sound and is completely healthy. I am a trainer in Marysville, Ohio and I would like a competition horse for myself. I do eventing, trail riding and fox hunting and I want a horse that will not be physically limited by injury or lameness issues. Could you tell me a little more about your horse?"

Half of the time, the horse got knocked out right away when the owner disclosed an old injury or that the horse in question had navicular disease or something of the like.

3. You should have a list of questions prepared to ask the seller when you eventually speak to him/her. If you are satisfied with the answers to these, you might decide to set up a time to see the horse.

4. When you see the horse and immediately decide you have to have it, STOP! You still have to consult me, make a second and maybe even a third visit, get a complete vet check, and have a behavioral assessment. It will be at least two weeks until that horse will be yours!!! I promise it will be worth the wait! And if the sellers want you to pay right there and then, I bet you the price of the horse that there is something wrong. Don't do it. Offer to make a small deposit (get a receipt) and take all the time you need to. If the seller is a trustworthy and caring person, they will appreciate that you want to take all the appropriate steps.

No comments: